Aegon – How many protection claims were paid out in 2021?
Aegon UK has paid out over £139 million in individual protection claims in 2021, up 7% from 2020, driven by an increase in life claims.
- Aegon reported 21% more individual life claims in 2021 compared with 2020.
- Overall they paid out 95% of life claims
- Covid-19 accounted for 20% of all life claims last year – up from 14% in 2020 and 7% in 2019.
- Cancer remained the most common cause of death, accounting for 34% of claims
- Followed by respiratory-related claims (20%) which had tripled from 2019 and cardiovascular-related claims (19%).
- The average age of an insured person at the time of claim was 63 years old.
Critical illness claims
- Critical illness (CI), claims were down 3% in 2021 compared to 2020.
- Aegon paid out on 93% of all individual CI claims received throughout the year.
- Cancer was the top reason for claiming (61%).
- Followed by heart attacks (13%) and strokes (8%).
- The average age of an insured person at the time of claim was 51 years old.
The provider explained that the drop in CI claims could be due to the increased pressure on the NHS, which was spurred on by the pandemic. During the period, routine NHS services were suspended, such as breast, cervical and bowel cancer screenings, which restarted in late 2020 and 2021.
Income protection claims
- Aegon paid out on 90% of all individual income protection claims received during 2021.
- The average age of an insured person at the time of claim was 48 years old.
- Cancer and mental health were the most common reasons for an income protection claim.
- Aegon was unable to pay 10% of claims in 2021 due to misrepresentation. As they receive a very small number of income protection claims each year, a single decline can make a big difference to their figures.
Helen Morris, head of underwriting and claims at Aegon, commented: “The general trend across the critical illness market is that overall CI claims remain down on pre-pandemic levels, with the reduction in medical screening and routine services playing a role in this.”
“We may begin to see a return to more typical seasonal trends as these medical services return to a more normal level,” she said.
Source: Cover Magazine 2022
For full claims, details click HERE
Whilst you are welcome to get a quote online, we recommend you speak to one of our advisers.
Any quote that your adviser provides you with will take into account your circumstances and medical history and your budget!
An online quote is just that – a quote – it isn’t a definite offer of cover. What really matters is the premium you are offered, after your application has been assessed.
Call Freephone 0800 644 4468 – Monday to Thursday from 09.00 to 19.00 and on Friday between 09.00 and 17.00.Call me back
Interested in related stories?
Take a look at our handy guides ‘What Cover is Right for me?’
Do you suffer from a medical condition and are concerned you can’t secure Life Insurance? Please view our ‘Medical Guides’ for further information.
Whilst we will make every endeavour to help someone to arrange insurance, there is no guarantee of success. All applications are subject to underwriting.
Links to third-party websites exist for information only, and we accept no responsibility or liability for the information contained on any such sites.
The existence of a link to another website does not imply or express
endorsement of its provider, products or services by us or St. James’s Place.